Sorry, John, we have to move on to the next item.
John,抱歉,我們必須討論下一個議題 (用於開會有人喋喋不休時)
Well, Sir (Madam) you have made your points and I must move along. Thank you for calling.
噢!先生 (或夫人),你已經表達了你的立場,我還有其他事要做。謝謝你的電話。(move along = do something else)
Yes, you have said a mouthful. We can schedule another appointment at a time most convenient for you.
你所說的,已經包括很多了。我們可以再約一個你方便的時間。
(you have said a mouthful = you have covered more than I thought = what you said means a lot.)
藉故「開脫」的另外方式:
I am afraid I have held you too long.
我怕我已耽擱你很久了。
(或 Am I holding you too long?) I better let you go for now. I know your schedule is tight.
我現在讓你走吧!以後再談,我知道你的時程很緊湊。
(說 for now 表示 I will talk with you later)
I know you can do better yourself; I don’t want to get in your way.
我知道,你自己會做得更好,我不想妨礙你。
(to get in one’s way=to be in the way是妨礙)
We’ll talk again when I have more time. Sorry, I have to cut our conversation short.
等我有較多的時間,我們再談吧!抱歉,我必須長話短說。
Why don’t we set up an appointment for another day?
我們訂個時間,改天再談如何?
Thank you for coming in. Our talk has been very helpful. We must get together again sometime.
謝謝你來,我們談得很有用,改天再聚吧!
其他「開脫」的場合與方式:
I really don’t know, but I’ll find it out and get back to you.
我真的不知道,不過我會打聽後再告訴你。
I will check on it and do whatever I can.
我要調查一下,盡力而為之。
I can’t decide right now. Part of me think I should do this, and other part of me thinks I should not.
我現在不能決定。我一個想法是我應該做,另一個想法,我不該做。
(也就是: I can’t make up my mind. Part of me thinks…….and other part of me think…. 是口語)
This is surely a pretty necklace; let me tell my wife about it.
這真是一條漂亮的項鍊,我會告訴內人。(不買東西的藉口)
I don’t see I have any legal obligations in this regard.
我看不出我在這方面有任何法律義務上的束縛。
(不願被別人勉強做事時說)
Sorry, I am on medication which does not allow me to drink.
抱歉,我在服藥,不能喝酒。(這麼說,老外絕不會勉強叫你喝酒)
My doctor said I am not up to entertaining house guests this year. I’m sure you’ll understand.
我的醫生說,今年不適合招待客人,我相信你能理解。
(也許是藉口)
I had hoped to visit you long age, but one thing after another interfered with my plan.
我老早就想去拜訪你,但接二連三的事,影響了我的計劃。
(也許是藉口?)
If such a long distance did not separate us, Iwould be there in person for that specialoccasion.
要不是我們離的這麼遠,我會親自參加那個特別場合。
(b) 遇到出醜或尷尬場面時,老外也會自嘲或辯解一下:
例如:
Sorry, I am late; I really need to allow myself more time next time.
抱歉,我遲到了;我下次應該給自己有更充分的時間。
Gracious, I seem to be having a hard time today. Maybe I am out of step.
啊呀,我今天似乎很不對勁,也許什麼都做不好。
(gracious= my goodness; out of step = not doing my job well)
I just forgot to finish it; I need to make sure I remember next time.
我只是忘了把它做完;我下回一定要記得。
I really blew it, Sir. I am blowing (或have blown) it big time. I’ll make sure I don’t blow it again.
先生,我真正做錯了;我大錯特錯,我要確保下回不要再錯。
(to blow it = to make a mistake; to blow it big time = to make a big mistake)
(可用動詞任何時態)
This morning I have already had three strikes against me.
今早我真是困難重重。
(three strikes本指棒球賽,意思是difficult time或Iam out;如果是two strikes是指再一球就輸了,意思是很危險,almost fail)
I may be out of line; I nearly died from embarrassment.
我可能說了一些不得體的話;我幾乎尷尬得要死。
(out of line = say something inappropriate)
I can’t believe I did that. I need a pie-in-the-face.(= someone should throw a pie on me.)
我不敢相信我會做出那樣的事,我臉上應該要被丟個派。
(老外開玩笑時,把蛋糕或派丟在臉上,表示一種輕微的處罰)
Sorry, I forgot. It just went in one ear and out the other.
抱歉,我忘了。我當時沒注意聽,左耳進右耳出。
(也就是: I was not listening.)
You finally caught me, didn’t you?
你終於抓到我的把柄,不是嗎?
Well, I goofed; you got me there; I feel bad about it.
噢,我搞糟了;你糾到我的錯,我覺得不好意思。
(you got me there = you caught my mistake.)
懷中